Untitled

Drivers urged to slow down, after 100 dead on NSW roads - Operation Go Slow

Thursday, 20 April 2017 04:00:08 AM

NSW Police are urging all motorists to ‘Go Slow’ and remain patient on the state’s roads ahead of the ANZAC Day long weekend and end of school holidays.

Tragically, 100 people have died on our roads already this year. During Operation Go Slow senior police are urging drivers to slow down.

Assistant Commissioner Michael Corboy of the Traffic and Highway Patrol Command, said drivers need to slow down this weekend to avoid more tragic loss of life.

“We booked more than 7500 people during double demerits over the Easter long-weekend. This indicates that many people simply don’t care about putting their own and other’s lives at risk.

“100 people have already died on our roads this year, while we can’t take back those lives that have been lost, we can prevent more deaths on our roads.

“For this reason, and this reason alone, you will see more police again out on our roads this weekend taking licences away from those who choose to put themselves and others at risk,” Assistant Commissioner Corboy said.

NSW Minister for Police and Minister Emergency Services, Troy Grant said road users need to act with responsibility on NSW roads.

“We encourage people to get out and enjoy all NSW has to offer this long weekend, but to act responsibly and considerately on our roads.

“No police officer should have to face a roadside tragedy, and no family member should have to get that devastating phone call or knock on their front door,” Minister Grant said.

Roads Minister Melinda Pavey said people need to take extra care on the road as ANZAC Day approaches and the school holidays draw to a close and allow extra travel time so everyone arrives at their destinations safely.

“Your family and friends would rather you were a little late than never make it at all,”

“There’s no need to rush, take your time, rest up before jumping behind the wheel and enjoy the break safely,” Minister Pavey said.

Centre for Road Safety Executive Director Bernard Carlon said speed is still the biggest killer on our roads.

“Last year 157 people lost their lives on our roads because someone was driving too fast.

“You can’t always predict what lies ahead and if you have a crash at a higher speed, you are more likely to be killed or seriously injured,” Mr Carlon said.

Operation ‘Go Slow,’ starts at 12.01am tomorrow (Friday 21 April 2017) and continues until 11.59pm on Tuesday (25 April 2017). Double demerits will be enforced throughout the period for speeding, mobile phones, seatbelt, and motorcycle-helmet offences.

Officers will be a highly-visible presence on the roads during the operation, targeting speeding, mobile phone use, alcohol and drug-affected drivers, fatigue, and seatbelt use.