Seven people arrested following disturbance - Leichhardt
Sunday, 19 March 2017 11:52:18 AM
Five men and two women have been arrested following a disturbance at Leichhardt overnight.
Just before 1.30am (Sunday 19 March 2017), police attended Charles Street after receiving information about a group of people fighting.
Police were confronted by a group of men and woman who allegedly began abusing police. Officers issued a move-on direction which they allegedly ignored.
Police will further allege a man within the group attempted to grab a police officer’s firearm.
The man was placed under arrest; however he resisted. Members of the group attempted to intervene and police used OC spray to disperse the crowd.
The group began to throw beer bottles towards police and their cars.
About 3.30am Public Order & Riot Squad attended and the incident was resolved with seven people being arrested.
The following people were charged:
- A 25-year-old Leichhardt man was charged with affray, refuse police direction, resist police. He was granted bail to appear at Newtown Local Court on 11 April 2017.
- A 22-year-old Summer Hill woman was charged with assault police and resist police. She was granted bail to appear in Newtown Local Court on 11 April 2017.
- A 22-year-old Pyrmont man was charged with affray and resist police. Granted bail to appear in Downing Centre Local Court on 17 April 2017.
- A 24-year-old Earlwood man charged with affray, resist arrest and malicious damage. He was granted bail to appear in Downing Centre Local Court on 17 April 2017.
- A 25-year-old Leichhardt man was charged with affray, resist police. He was granted bail to appear in Downing Centre Local Court 17 April 2017.
- A 25-year-old woman will be issued with a court attendance notice for affray.
- A 25-year-old man was released pending further inquiries